Sunday, May 8, 2011

District Champion!

Yesterday, I competed in the district championship. We are technically a 4A school, but we play against 5A schools like Irons, Hutch, etc.. For this tournament, we actually competed in our district for the first time. I had to get up at 5:30 am because I had to be at the courts by 6:30 to leave for Plainview. Since I had gotten home from Amarillo the night before at 11:30 pm, I was more than a little tired. At the tournament, I was competing in the Girls A Singles division. It was about 94 degrees, and it was hot! My dad came with me to this tournament. I won my first match 8-2, and then got to wait forever (tennis tournaments involve a LOT of waiting) before playing my second match. This match was against the #1 seed girl, and she was expected to win the whole tournament. I ended up winning 8-4, but for the first time ever, I got mad during a match. The other girl was from a school called Westover. Westover feeds into Canyon High School. The Canyon coach stopped the match a few times (at least it was while we were switching sides) to give her 15 minute sermons about what to do if I hit the ball here, what to do if a do this shot, blah, blah, blah. On top of that, he stood there, right next to the court almost the whole match, yelling advice and such. In tennis, there are very strict rules about these kinds of things, and he broke all of them! Anyway, after more waiting, I played my third match which I won 8-1. Then after even more waiting, I played the championship match and won 8-4! I am officially the Girls A Singles district champion! Overall, Frenship took home a lot of medals which was very exciting. But the best part of the day was when I got home. My family, the Hardy's, and Nato and TK Kimball (they were at the Hardy's house) were all there standing in front of this sign.

They all started singing "We are the Champions" with a change in lyrics to You are the Champion. They also made me a beautiful trophy!
 Here are some up close pictures of some of the messages on the sign.

Rich insisted that I had dedicated the tournament to him, and I won because I was thinking of him. Quite frankly, I beg to differ.
I am so lucky to have such a wonderful, supportive family, and such amazing, creative friends! They are all so great!

No comments: